Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Walls? Who needs those??

So my kitchen was so small and the stove was sitting in the middle of the room! Anyone who knows me knows this is unacceptable. I love to cook and try out new things, and I would need a nice functioning kitchen to do that. Also the cabinets were extremely outdated and needed to be put to rest (aka moved to my garage to end its life in garage service)
So I spent several hours at Menards- and 2 lumber carts, 1 shopping cart and a pick up around the back of the store later... we were driving home with a new Kitchen and Laundry room extension in the back of my dad's truck and a door in the back of moms' van.
Back to my house we start tearing apart the kitchen, the counter was apparently placed there by the hand of God and took almost as much to get it off! We actually gave up on it and moved to the wall.
4 blades were sacrificed in the first 2 feet of the drywall so we went to plan B were hammers were used. we smashed through the kitchen wall, then the dining room wall.
I was left with a huge hole and some support beams... it was around this point where my dad mentioned he has never done this before- no worries I have faith in him!
So we build some makeshift walls to "hold up" the ceiling just in case things go bad when we cut the support beams...
Fingers crossed and prayers said we cut the supports one by one... no unexpected cave in's so we moved on.
Put in new supports across the ceiling and took out our makeshift wall and stood back to admire the hole. Already major changes in the room it opened it up so much!!
Bonus we were able to save the curved ceiling in the dining room.
Next step dad will crawl under the house to move the electric and pluming so the sink can go into the new hole area and the stove will go under the window. Then we will add the cabinets and counter tops.

Before




During





 Its a dirty job but Daddy's gotta do it




AFTER


1 comment: