Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Let there be light, and warm water...

Due to the passing of a loved one our normal weekend's activities were a little scattered but you know us, we never rest.
After work on Friday I decided to run so errands, when I got home I walked into "water world" apparently something was plugging up the garbage disposal and when it was unplugged it was like someone had opened Hoover Dam, water everywhere, including raining from the ceiling in the basement... OH NO.
So after lots of clean up it lead to the emptying out of the old roll top desk, and my dad got it into his head that it would be a good time to empty the book shelves.
Anyone who knows me knows I love to read, so do my parents, and we buy books so we can pass them around to each other... that leads to A LOT OF BOOKS. it took me 5 Ikea blue bags and I still have more to transfer to my new house. I have to donate a good amount of them but there are still so many I want to keep its ridiculous!
Besides carrying more books than the library around for 2 days I spent some time making my entry pretty. This is not a final look but I like that it at least looks pretty.
The door on the left is to the outside the door on the right is to the garage.
I collect typewriters so be prepared to see them all over, this is one of my favorites because of the U shape
Also it is cast iron and almost broke my wrist when I tried to move it.

Another big project for me over the weekend (actually started a long time ago, just got them done this weekend) was a Pinterest inspired lamp upcycle!
Before I tell you about the lamp I have to show you my pride and joy- the homemade spray paint "tent" I took the box from my new oven cut it down the side and opened it up, used extra cardboard for the bottom so no spray paint goes anywhere I don't want it to go!


Step one Take nasty old ugly lamps-
These were my grandparents- my dad believes they were an early anniversary gift but he was not sure. anyway they have been around forever! They are ugly gold and really looked bad!

Next I bought some spray paint, I went with the textured kind because I wanted to give them more grip when you used them as a 'side table'. 
If you do any kind of spray paint and don't use the "gun" your a fool, its only $2 and saves you lots of pain and mess. Plus you will have it forever go get one!!
Ok painting was done time for the hard part... the lamp shade cover...
Let me tell you Binder clips were a God send!!

I used spray adhesive which works great but WOW was it a mess, I thought ahead and used cardboard to catch over spray but once that sticky stuff was on your hands it was a nightmare to get off.  
Here is my final and I am so proud!!!


And LAST for the weekend we got the microwave up!!!
Warmed up a bowl of water and everything worked great! I am thinking the shelf will be a wine/alcohol shelf, and maybe some cookbooks... who knows.
So I guess its time to move the big stuff! 
The house is ready!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh BTW that Microwave was a STEAL, got it for $68!! Its normally $234! Someone had returned it no box, so I was able to get an amazing deal on it!!

    ReplyDelete